Principal Of A Girls’ School In Nyamira Suffers Injuries In School Later Dies Under Unclear Circumstances.

0 1,012

Lydia Onyoni, the principal of Our Lady of Mercy Rangenyo Girls’ High School in West Mugirango Constituency, Nyamira County is dead.




Onyoni died at a private hospital in Kisii County on Monday, October 10.




It remains unclear what led to her hospitalisation, though some reports suggest she was attacked at her home, the principal’s residence, within Rangenyo Girls’ High School compound.




She was taken to Oasis Specialist Hospital in Kisii, where she was pronounced dead at 8:30pm.




George Onkundi, the chairperson of Nyamira South School Heads Association, told The Standard that Onyoni was found unresponsive in her house on Monday morning.



A neighbor said she had physical injuries on her thighs and arms.




According to Nyamira South School heads boss, Onkundi, the deceased was taken to Nyamira County Referral Hospital, where she received emergency care before being transferred to Oasis Specialist Hospital in Kisii.





“We are yet to know what happened exactly. There are several contradicting reports, including one alleging that she suffered injuries after falling. She was staying alone,” said Onkundi.





Job Oira, the Kenya Secondary School Heads Association chairperson in Nyamira County, said he last saw Onyoni on Friday, October 7 during the burial of his father.




“On Sunday, I spoke with her on phone. She was okay,” said Oira.





Onyoni’s family suspect that their loved one was killed.




Her father-in-law, George Ongori, has asked police to expedite investigations into her death.




The mother of two had been the principal of Our Lady of Mercy Rangenyo Girls’ High School for seven years.




She was credited for improving the school’s academic performance.





In the 2021 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), Rangenyo Girls’ High School posted a mean score of 7.94 (B minus), taking 114 out of 125 students to university.





Nyamira County Police Commander Kimani Mitugo told The Standard that investigations into Onyoni’s death are underway.

Leave a comment