Simple Steps To Filing KRA Tax Returns On iTax Platform By Yourself.
The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) on Friday announced that it has extended working hours for its tax service offices and contact centres ahead of the June 30 tax returns filing deadline.
Remember everyone with a KRA pin is required to file their tax returns.
Any unemployed citizens with no substantive income including students are required to submit their returns in form of ‘Nil Returns.’
For all employees both in the private and public sector, a mandatory requirement for the process will be a KRA P9 Form.
The penalty for non-compliance is paying an additional tax equal to five per cent of the tax due in the period.
With less than a month to go, here is a step-by-step process for those employed to file their returns:
- Log in to the iTax portal
- Enter your KRA PIN, Password then solve the arithmetic questions
- After opening the Dashboard, navigate to ‘Returns’ then to ‘File Return’ Menu
- Select Tax Obligation as Income Tax Resident Individual
- You then proceed to download the KRA returns form (ITR utility).
- Fill in the form (Excel sheet) with details shown in the P9 form. The form has three sections: Return information, Employment Income, PAYE details and Tax computation section.
- Upload the validated KRA Returns form and click Submit
- You then download the KRA Returns for Employed acknowledgement receipt.
For those not employed, here is the process
- Visit KRA iTax Portal
- Enter Your KRA PIN Number.
- Enter KRA iTax Password and Solve Arithmetic Question (Security Stamp)
- You then open the iTax Account Dashboard.
- After the display, click On the ‘Returns tab’ which opens a drop box
- Open the ‘File Nil Return’ from the Dropdown Menu list
- Select Nil e-Return Tax Obligation
- Fill out the Income Tax Resident Individual Nil e-Return Form
- You finally download KRA Returns Receipt to view your details.