Books Corner: The Richest Man in Babylon By George S. Clason
The Richest Man in Babylon is a 1926 book by George S. Clason that dispenses financial advice through a collection of parables set 4,097 years ago in ancient Babylon.
The book remains in print almost a century after the parables were originally published, and is regarded as a classic of personal financial advice.
The parables are told by a fictional Babylonian character called Arkad, a poor scribe who became the “richest man in Babylon”.
Included in Arkad’s advice are the “Seven Cures” (or how to generate money and wealth), and the “Five Laws of Gold” (or how to protect and invest wealth). A core part of Arkad’s advice is around “paying yourself first”, “living within your means”, “investing in what you know”, the importance of “long-term saving”, and “home ownership”.
The seven cures are:
1. Start thy purse to fattening. Save money. Put aside 10% of your income every month.
2. Control thy expenditures. Don’t spend more than you earn.
3. Make thy gold multiply. Invest your money wisely.
4. Guard thy treasures from loss. Protect your money from risk.
5. Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment. Own your home.
6. Insure thy life. Protect your family from financial hardship.
7. Increase thy earning power. Learn new skills and increase your earning potential.
The five laws of gold are:
1. Avoid debt. Debt is a financial trap.
2. Invest for the long term. Don’t try to get rich quick.
3. Diversify your investments. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
4. Reinvest your earnings. Let your money make more money.
5. Pay yourself first. Put aside money for your future before you spend anything else.
The Richest Man in Babylon is a timeless classic that offers practical advice on how to build wealth and achieve financial security. The parables are easy to understand and the advice is sound. If you’re looking for a way to improve your financial situation, I highly recommend reading The Richest Man in Babylon.
Here are some of the key lessons from the book:
• Start saving early. The earlier you start saving, the more time your money has to grow.
• Live within your means. Don’t spend more money than you earn.
• Invest wisely. Do your research and invest in assets that have the potential to grow over time.
• Protect your assets. Insure your home and belongings, and have a plan in place in case of an emergency.
• Increase your earning power. Learn new skills and take on new challenges to increase your income.
The Richest Man in Babylon is a valuable resource for anyone who wants to improve their financial situation. The lessons in the book are timeless and can help you achieve financial security and success.
#LifeChangingBooks #booksummary #books #therichestmaninbabylon #bookreview #success #GeorgeSClason #motivation #audiobooks