Salary Scale Of ECDE Teachers Per County And Other Work-Related Demands.
Early childhood education is an important stage in every child’s life. Therefore every child has a right to be enrolled in pre-primary school as ECE plays an important role in a child’s development. Children enrolled in ECE are able to develop faster linguistically, physically, cognitively and socially.
In Kenya, ECDE teachers are trained to:
- Ensure the general welfare of a child
- Take care of the children’s personal needs.
- Prepare the children for primary school
- Nurturing the learners in all aspects of life
- Ensure the safety of learners
- Prepare ad keep academic documents example. Schemes of work, lesson plans etc.
It is no surprise that ECDE teachers play a key role in an education system.
The minimum qualification of an ECDE teacher is a (DECTE) Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education. Additionally, the teacher must be registered with the teacher’s Service Commission.
The following are TSC’s requirements for ECDE teachers to be registered.
- A KCPE/CPE Certificate
- A minimum of KCSE mean grade of a D+
- ECDE certificate from the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC).
- A D plain in KCSE with a KNEC ECDE certificate.
In the 2010 constitution ECDE was devolved to county governments. Therefore all the 47 counties mandated recruit ECDE teachers, construct and renovate ECDE classrooms among other responsibilities.
The salaries of the teachers differ from one county to another regardless of a teacher’s qualifications. Below is a salary scale of ECDE Teachers across all the counties.
Counties that pay less than 10,000 Ksh
- Uasin Gishu
Certificate holders are paid a total of 7,500 kenyan shillings while Diploma Holders are paid a total of 8,500 per month.
Counties that pay between 10,000-20,000
- Elgeyo marakwet
Counties paying more than 20,000
- Taita taveta