Procedure For The Registration Of Community Based Organization, CBO In Kenya. Membership & Documents.
A community-based organization (CBO) is a registered non-governmental, non-profit and non-political organization.
Within community-based organizations (CBOs), there are many variations in terms of size and organizational structure.
Some community-based organization (CBOs) with a written constitution and directors are formally registered and incorporated.
Others are much smaller and informal, are registered by the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection.
Step 1 :
Organize yourselves in a group (Minimum 10) to form a community based organization.
Step 2 :
Draft the CBO’s constitution
- A constitution is the CBO’s guide. Once this has been drafted and approved, every member should get a copy which they sign and commit to the terms and conditions.
- The constitution identifies the CBO’s mission, goals, and objectives.
Step 3 :
Hold meeting to Elect CBO’s officials and to seeking registration
- The three most important slots to be filled are the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.
- It’s important to have these positions occupied for accountability and organisation purposes of the CBO.
- Roles under these titles should also be defined, written down, and put in a document (preferably the constitution) so that every official understands and agrees to their scope of their work.
- It is important that the office of the secretary must know how to read and write.
- The minutes of the meeting seeking registration and showing elected officials are to be attached to the application forms.
Step 4 :
Make the application for Registration with the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection’
- Visit the either Sub-county’s Labour and Social Protection Offices, Sub-county’s Public Service or Huduma Centre to make the application with the respective officer.
- You will be given an APPLICATION FORM FOR A COMMUNITY BASED ORGANIZATION (CBO) to fill.
Fill the Registration Form correctly and attach the following
- i. Minutes of the meeting seeking registration and showing elected officials MUST be attached to the Application form.
- ii. List of members duly signed with Name/Position/ID No. and Signatures MUST be attached to the Application form.
- iii. The Application form MUST be accompanied by the CBOs BY-LAWS/ RULES/ CONSTITUTION.
- iv. The Application form MUST be accompanied by a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) where CBO is formed through amalgamation (i.e. where several groups come together to form an umbrella organization).
Step 5 :
Payment of applicable fees
- Pay the Approved Registration fee of Ksh.5, 000/= and lodge the Application at the office of the Sub-county Social Protection officer or Huduma Centre
Step 6 :
Obtain the certificate
- It takes 5 working days for the Registration to be approved and a Certificate of Registration is issued by the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection Office to the CBO
- Minutes of the meeting seeking registration and showing elected officials MUST be attached to the Application form.
- List of members duly signed with Name/Position/ID No. and Signatures MUST be attached to the Application form.
- The Application form MUST be accompanied by the CBOs BY-LAWS/ RULES/ CONSTITUTION.
- The Application form MUST be accompanied by a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) where CBO is formed through amalgamation (i.e. where several groups come together to form an umbrella organization).
- Registration fees receipt.
Some of the Activities commonly carried out through CBO’s include:-
- i. Business
- ii. Community project
- iii. Crop farming
- iv. Cultural/traditional activities
- v. Environment Conservation
- vi. Financial services
- vii. Fishery
- viii. Health care
- ix. livestock rearing
- x. Poultry keeping
- xi. Skills development
- xii. Tourism
- xiii. Youth empowerment
- xiv. Merry-go-round
- xv. Table banking
- After Registration, the Group/Community Project Must adhere to the following;
- i. Renew the Certificate Annually.
- ii. Submit Quarterly Progress Reports to the Registering Authority
- iii. Allow accessibility of records to the registering authority upon request or when demanded to do so:-
NOTE: Failure to adhere to the above requirements will result to Non-registration/Deregistration.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Legally registering of the CBO gives the CBO powers to transact business in its name.
- The CBO certificate of registration is used when obtaining grants and loans from the government and micro-financial institutions.
Office Locations & Contacts
State Department for Social Protection – Head Office,
Ministry of Labour and Social Protection,
Bishops Road, Social Security House
P.O. Box 40326 – 00100, Nairobi
Telephone: +254 (0) 2729800
Fax: +254 020 2726497
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Website: Ministry of Labour and Social Protection Website
Social Protection Desk – Huduma Center Huduma Ceneter Locations